[mythtv-users] Re:Controlling Mythfrontend from remote computer

coryjones at cox.net coryjones at cox.net
Wed Feb 18 11:47:52 EST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 15:56, Raymond T. Gaida wrote:
> I am trying to have mythfrontend run on the mythbox and send keystrokes to
> control the frontend from a remote location. Ideally I would like to have
> the frontend displayed on the TV while I use my laptop to configure the
> frontend settings. I don't want to actually see the mythbox desktop on my
> laptop, just pass keystrokes. This could help me to alleviate buying a
> wireless keyboard.
>
> VNC and X-Servers are not the answer as the display being sent over the
> network slows things down, plus I don't see the changes on the TV. (I think
> VNC is starting another instance of mythfrontend) I have tried ssh and
> opened mythfrontend on the remote display, but when I try to use the laptop
> keyboard to control the TV's display nothing happens.
>
> Am I using ssh wrong, or is there a better solution to this problem?

Take a look at Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/)
To Quote: "Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s)."

It works really well!

Hope this helps.
Cory