[mythtv-users] HowTo: 2 PVR cards?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 18 11:54:50 EST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 03:04, Thomas Börkel wrote:

> I have read various HowTo's about installing the capture card in the
> system and in MythTV. But this is always only documented for 1 PVR card
> or 1 PVR card and 1 other card.

I have some stuff written about using two ivtv cards. (One PVR-250 and on
M179, to be specific).

> Can someone please point me on how to do it with 2 PVR cards (1x 250, 1x
> 350)?
>
> Some specific questions come to mind:
>
> How do I know which card is which device?

Look at the output of dmesg after loading up the ivtv module. The 350 will be
discovered as an iTVC15 card. However, so will an M179 and a rev1 PVR-250,
but if you have a rev2 PVR-250, it'll show up as an iTVC16 card, like so:

# /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
ivtv: Found an iTVC16 based chip
tuner: probing ivtv i2c driver #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224

> What about modules.conf?

The pertinent section from my modules.conf for a PVR-250 and M179:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

Just add the misc other bits for PVR-350 output to that if you're going to use
it.

> What about lirc?

That one, I dunno...

> I will setup my system shortly and I like to know what to do before.
> Maybe, it's just so easy and self-explaining that nobody mentions it. In
> that case: That's OK. But I guess, it's not that obvious.

Your assumption is correct, it really isn't too difficult.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/