[mythtv-users] OT: Firewire HDD

Gabe Knuth me at gabeknuth.com
Wed Feb 18 15:16:43 EST 2004

I'm trying to build my MythTV setup into an old CD player, and the biggest
problems I have are 1) mounting the PVR-250 in there, and 2) getting a hard
drive in there.

For 1, I bought a flexible PCI riser card, that I hope will work.  Since
it's a cable, though, I'm worried about signal degradation.  If it doesn't
work, I guess I'll just scrap the CD player project and mount it in a real
case.

For #2, I can't fit a 3.5" hard drive in there, so I found a 20gb laptop
drive that I'm going to use.  I have a 160gig drive that I'd like to use for
the storage, and I bought a firewire enclosure for it.  The problem is that
when I plug it in, the system won't boot.

My questions are:

a) I know there are some EPIA users out there.has anyone used an external
drive like this?

b) Is it going to be a PITA getting the drive to mount in Linux?

Thanks,

Gabe

EPIA M10k mobo

Fedora Core 1