[mythtv-users] Re: dedicated database box

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Wed Feb 18 19:57:55 EST 2004

Jayson Garrell <kyi at kyi.sytes.net> wrote:
> Is it even possiable to have a pc that doesn't run myth, not even
> installed, to handle the database functions for myth.

I can see no reason why this shouldn't work.  As far as I know, all of the
myth programs use standard MySQL accesses, no funky backdoors, so just point
your mythtv setup at the correct MySQL server (the same as you would on a
slave-only backend, etc) and make sure your database permissions are correct.

Of course, doing this will mean yet another machine that can cause your myth
setup not to work. :)  I've considered moving my myth database onto my main
database server too, but I haven't done it.  My mythweb is on a separate
central machine though. :)

Have fun
Gavin