[mythtv-users] [Q] : Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Feb 19 13:18:04 EST 2004

Just to be clear at the outset ... this really is not a MythTV problem. It
is a problem with your Linux networking setup, one that would affect a lot
of apps, and should be fixed at that level, not worked around via
trickiness with /etc/hosts or somesuch.

Still, you do want to get it fixed.

To get help with it (either here or on a help list for your distro), you
need to explain the setup in enough detail that someone can help you spot
the bug. Even if an interface is not connected to a LAN, it should still be
possible, trivially easy really, to bring it up (assign it an IP address
and related stuff). To figure out why your backend's eth0 is not coming up,
please tell us:

1. How the backend is connected to the LAN. As Adam asked, does it connect
to a hub, or do you connect and disconnect the laptop directly (using a
crossover cable)? Or is a WiFi setup involved? Or something else (what?)?

2. What eth0 is. Is it a standard NIC of some sort, or something unusual?

3. What Linux distro and version you are using.

4. Even if the interface it not "up" (configured), it should still exist.
Check this with "ifconfig -a" or (I think) "ip link show".

5. If your Linux is tolerably standard, it uses "ifup eth0" to bring up
that interface. What happens if you run that command (as root) from the
command line? (If you get an error response, please quote it exactly. If
you don't, quote the relevant portion of the output of "ifconfig" or "ip
addr show" after you run it.) If your distro brings up interfaces a
different way, do whatever is appropriate to bring up eth0 via the command
line and tell us the result, as above.

6. How the desktop host's IP address is being assigned. Finding the answer
is a bit distro specific, but checking for its stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces is a likely place to start. Meaningful answers to
this question are "static" and "dhcp" ... if the second, where is the DHCP
server it gets its lease from?

7. Some interpretations of what you've said so far imply that this backend
is a standalone system with no connection to the Internet. Or, just
possibly, the laptop acts its route to the Internet (if it has 2 interfaces
and an appropriate configuration to route or bridge). Please clarify this
part, if prior answers do not already make it clear. (If it is isolated,
how does it use Myth? What do you do about listings?)