[mythtv-users] A list of newbie questions - any input is appreciated

Steve Dorsey steve at dorseygraphics.com
Thu Feb 19 17:40:12 EST 2004

Hello

   I'm thinking about dumping about $500 into a Coolermaster ATC-620

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?
LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ATC-620C-
BX1&other_title=+ATC-620C-BX1+ATC-620

   so that I can built a MythTV box. Before I start spending cash with
reckless abandon, I have a few questions. I'm sorry for not searching
the newsletters more, but they are very difficult to navigate. (Why are
we not using forums - they are easier to search, and I can more easily
get to them from the network at Intel, where I work!?)

Anyway, on with the show!

- Can MythTV control my DirecTV box (or a cable box) with the right
hardware/cables (changing channels and such)? Any direction here?

- Is a P4 1.8GHz going to be fast enough to do everything with two or
three PVR-350s simultaneously capturing and viewing video? (I'd like to
hook up 3 cards in a perfect world so that I can have an extra input
for external devices i.e. video cameras or video from my G4.

- What about a 7200 RPM 240GB drive? Can that read and write fast
enough simultaneously?

- Will I easily be able to create my own menu/DVD backgrounds and
graphics? I'd be more than happy to share them with the community. I'm
no programmer, but I am a broadcast UI designer.

- Can the commercial detection be turned around to record ONLY
commercials? I realize that this is a strange request, but it's a hobby
of mine.

- Can I decide what format a given show is encoded to? (i.e. Enterprise
in MPEG4, and West Wing in MPEG2, one after the other)?

- What is the recommended remote control for the unit - is this listed
on the MythTV site and I'm just too blind to see it?

- Is there a dial PIP option if I have 3 capture cards?

- Can I use different Hauppage capture cards on the same system? (Like
a 250 and a 350 together)?

- Is it easy to transfer recorded broadcasts to my Mac OSX box via the
network?

- Are the fonts (used in the program guide and elsewhere) changeable?
What is the smallest recommended font size for good clarity on screen?

- Does the web interface require a static IP address?

- Does Myth TV also share audio through the web connection (Like an
icecast server)?

- Is Vorbis REQUIRED? What if all my audio is MP3? Do I need to install
it?

- What about AC3?

   thanks for your help (in advance). I'm fairly new to the world of
Linux, but I'm a quick learner. I hope to get up and running in the
next few months and then I'll start answering questions here!

Thanks,