[mythtv-users] [Q] : Why only numeric IP addresses work?

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 19 22:38:11 EST 2004

Le 19.02.2004 14:33:12, Vincent K. Britton a écrit :
> This is hard to understand.  You may want to ask the question again
> with more details.
>
> However if I understand you correctly, your LAN works fine provided
> you us IP address, opposed to hostnames.
>
> If that is correct then I would like to verify that you have your
> host
> to IP addresses setup correctly in you /etc/hosts file, example:
>
> # more /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1 		localhost
> 192.168.0.1 	backendserver
> 192.168.0.2		frontendserver
>
> Alternately do you use DHCP?  If so do you have DNS Server?

No I just use a bare hosts file and static IPs. The issue as someone
pointed out is that myth setup expects really IP addresses, no name
resolution is made (so local hostname is OK if there is an alias to
localhost, that is why my remote frontend could not connect to the
backend when using hostname.
For my network, something is broken but this is off-topic. I will try
to pinpoint the problem and bug privately all of you guys that try to
help me already, but I just don't want to go on an OT thread on a such
heavy traffic ML ;-)
Thanks to all of the good souls wanting to help me, I'll be back ;-)
with the remaining issues when I know what is really wrong but on
private e-mails.
Bye
Manu