[mythtv-users] MythTV at 1920x1080i...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Fri Feb 20 07:00:08 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
 > Just a little report... I mentioned a bit ago that I was picking up a
 > SiS video card to see if I could get a full 1920x1080i resolution out
 > of it to my HDTV.
[snip]
> At the moment, 960x540p on my nVidia card looks better at the desktop and on
> the MythTV menus (mostly because there's no frame jitter), but with some
> tweaking, who knows... Then I need to see about getting my pcHDTV card
> back up and running for some REAL diagnostics... ;-p

Cool!  I think you'll see pretty quickly why interlaced display never
caught on for general computer use... the flicker it introduces is
pretty distracting.

Have you tried 480i?  For such content (standard-def TV), does your TV's
deinterlacer do a better job than Myth's?  I realize a desktop this
small could be pretty painful...

I can see two solutions:
1. Write or modify a theme for MythTV so all horizontal lines in the UI
end up at least 2 pixels wide.  I think text would be the hardest.
2. Add code to use different X resolutions for GUI vs. video display.
In fact I could see the usefulness of being able to use different X
resolutions for different video formats.  The 'xrandr' command is
capable of switching resolutions in a nice way, for a suitably recent
versions of XFree86.

-Doug