[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Remotes

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 10:40:53 EST 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 01:19, Colin Andrews wrote:
> Specifically the ones that come with the WinTV 401. I gather that
> this tuner comes sometimes with the remote and sometimes with
> just the IR receiver (correct me if I'm wrong here).
>
> So I've scanned the list archives and I understand the IR
> protocol that Hauppauge uses is only compatible with Philips'
> remotes or universal remotes pretending to be Philips remotes.
>
> So my question is really about how well the Hauppauge Remote
> works with MythTv.
>
> I can see that I have 3 options:
>    * Get the version with the remote.

My WinTV 401 came with neither a receiver OR a remote, but Hauppauge
sent me both for free when I wrote to them...

>    * Get the version without the remote and get a universal
> remote that can emulate a Philips.

SInce the remote for the 401 is total crap (only about 18 buttons,
including 0-9), I was going to go this route.  Unfortunately, my TV is
also a Philips, and I couldn't figure out a Universal setting that
would work with the Hauppauge receiver but not interfere with my TV.
Could probably do it with JP1...

If you don't have other Philips components to worry about, this is a
good solution, as long as you have a combined backend/frontend.  If you
want to put the (separate) backend in a closet somewhere, then this is
not a good option.

>    * Get the card but ignore the IR receiver that comes with and
> go for a remote that works better with Lirc/MythTv (suggestions
> welcome).

This is the most versatile option.  A serial IR receiver will work with
any system that has a serial port, and with just about any IR remote.
This also gives you flexibility in case you want to separate your
frontend/backend.

-JAC