[mythtv-users] Hard drive recommendation

Tobias Hofmann tobias.hofmann at medien.uni-weimar.de
Sat Feb 21 04:48:50 EST 2004

hi folks,

On 20.02.2004 23:14, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> My 9 month old 80 gig drive recently died in my Myth box, so I sent it
> back under warranty.  Rather than swapping the drive with a new 80, the
> reseller has refunded me with the original amount of money.  Obviously 9
> months ago, hard drives were rather more money, so I get to buy a nice
> shiny new 120 or 160 gig for next to nothing.

nice! :)

> So, a couple of questions before I go buying a new drive:
>
> 1. Any recommendations on a good drive for Myth? (quietness is a must)

even though I don,t have myth up and running yet, and thererfore cannot
comment on the actual requirements from experience, I went for two
ic35l180avv207-1 from hitachi/ibm (see
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200211/20021127IC35L180AVV207_1.html
for details), mainly for the three year warranty with the 8mb-version
and the possibility to have it go into a quiet-mode. you might also want
to check out http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php to
get an idea on idle noise in db(A).

today, i'd go for a samsung sp1416n or c model (c=serial ata) - they got
a very favourable test in the 3/04 c't magazine for both, performance
and noise. if i can get the advantage of faster seek-times of 7200rpms
at that noise level (0.9 sone max), why not? :) furthermore, bang for
buck in germany is not bad, currently.

> 2. is 7200rpm actually useful?  The system has a single BTTV card, but I'm
> planning to add a PVR350 at some point in the future, so it will
> eventually be capturing 2 streams at once while paying another.  If I
> don't get any real benefit from a 7200rpm drive then getting a 5400rpm one
> would cut noise and heat (not to mention they're cheaper).

see other posts for 7200 comments - cutting noise with the sp1416n seems
difficult to me, cutting heat would be 2deg celcius to the sv1604n,
according to http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php ... :)

> 3. Not really related to the drive itself, but does anyone know where I
> can get rubber drive mountings?  I don't want the full-blown drive
> enclosures with heatsinks on them, etc.  Just some rubber mountings to
> bolt the drive down with.

no experience from my side.

hth, greets, tobi... :)

> - --
>
>  - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/
>
>      Servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum - Whisper, Evanescence

Dipl.-Ing. Tobias Hofmann   Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar  D99423 Weimar
Professur fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung      Projekt medienquadrat
SnailMail:  Bauhaus-Universitaet  Weimar,  Fak. Medien,  D99421 Weimar
Location:     D99423 Weimar     Karl-Haussknechtstr. 7      Zimmer 111
                 Fon: ++49-(0)3643-58-3780  Fax : -3701
           e-mail: mailto:tobias.hofmann at medien.uni-weimar.de