[mythtv-users] When mythfrontend loses focus, some dialogs work, others don't

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 22 00:41:05 EST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:55:30 -0500
Mark Haun <haunma at keteu.org> wrote:

> I recently set up MythTV 0.14 using the Debian unstable packages, with
> the front and back ends running on the same machine (a fast Athlon).  I
> have almost everything working and am very happy with it---my thanks to
> the developers for their hard work!  Now I'm just ironing out some minor
> annoyances...
>
> I have a dual display (monitor/TV) setup, with mythfrontend on :0.1.
> lirc is configured and working fine, using mythtv's built-in lirc
> support (and irw gives the expected results).  If I run "mythfrontend &"
> manually in an xterm, all is well as long as that window retains focus.
> Once it loses focus, I can still use the IR remote to navigate most of
> the menus, watch recordings, live TV, skip around, etc. BUT certain
> dialogs become inoperable:
>
> 1)  I can enter "Schedule Recordings" -> "Program Guide" whereupon the
> program grid appears and I can use the arrows (on the IR remote) to move
> the highlight box exactly *once* (in any direction).  Then I cannot move
> the box any more, but I can exit back to the previous menu and regain
> control.
>
> 2)  I can enter "Delete Recordings" and navigate freely through the
> program lists, but once I select a program to delete and the
> confirmation dialog pops up, I cannot select any of its options; again,
> I can still exit back to the previous menu level.
>
> 3)  None of the setup menus (the ones with back/next/cancel at the
> bottom) are functional.
>

> I'd like to resolve this so I can start mythfrontend from my .xsession.
> Right now, I'm trying that, and it behaves just like when I start it
> from an xterm and subsequently move focus to another window.  i.e. I can
> do most things except browse the program guide, delete recordings, or
> change settings.  With verbose logging, mythfrontend isn't complaining
> about anything, as far as I can tell.
>
> Any ideas?

I had the same focus problem.  Basically all the popup dialog windows
would not work with lirc.  I found clicking on the desktop window on the
monitor (DISPLAY=:0.0) was causing the problem for me.  Just simply
sliding the mouse off the monitor onto the TV screen and clicking on it
made it start working.
OR
Just simply don't use the console on the myth box and the focus stuff
works in Myth just fine.  At least it does for me.

Thanks
Malcolm