[mythtv-users] mythbackend will not connect

Roy S. Smith m78523 at cherco.net
Sun Feb 22 12:47:18 EST 2004

Hello forum,

I posted this messaga in the mythtv-comments section for which I apoligize .

I hope my following questions have not already been answered in previous posts
and I also have read the documents but still need help with configuring
Mythtv. Whenever I type mythtv at the $command prompt in the terminal window,
I get this message -

[roy at localhost roy]$ mythtv
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
2004-02-22 11:28:29 Connecting to backend server: localhost:6543 (try 1 of 1)
Connection timed out.
You probably should modify the Master Server settings
in the setup program and set the proper IP address.
2004-02-22 11:28:31 Changing from None to None
[roy at localhost roy]$

Please note that mythbackend is running at this point as well as mysql. My
problem is that I don't know how to modify the Master Server settings. There
are 5 files in the settings directory - backendsettings.cpp,
backendsettings.h, main.cpp, setup.pro, and setup.xml. I am assuming that the
one I should edit is backendsettings.cpp since this one seems to make mention
of the IP address 127.0.0.1.  The frontend, backend, and MySQL are all
running on the same box so I understand I should use this address. My
question would be, what changes should I make to this backendsettings.cpp
file, assuming this the file I should make changes to?

Another point I would like to make is that whenever I run setup using any of
the 5 files mentioned above,  I get messages that the command is not found
for many of the lines and even a syntax error. So my second question would be
how do run setup?

I hope you take time to help me seeing that I am very new at this.

Thanks in advance,
Roy