[mythtv-users] Newbie performance questions

Paul Baker paulbaker85 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 18:30:38 EST 2004

Hi,

Newbie here.
Hope these aren't dopey quesions ;-)

I've just got mythtv and mythmusic running on Redhat 9
on a VIA EPIA M10000 (256MB).

My problem, which is significantly worse for mythmusic
than for mythtv, is that the UI is very 'clunky', i.e.
slow to respond to keyboard strokes to the point where
it's not really useable.

For example, if I change the volume in mythmusic it
will take a couple of seconds for each keypress to be
effected and the screen to be updated.

There appears to be no inherent performance issue with
my hardware - plenty of spare RAM and CPU cycles - so
I'm baffled. Everything is fine except mythfrontend.
I've tried renicing it but no discernable difference.

I'm using the VIA CLE266 accelerated XFree86 driver
and the MPEG decoder library (and I did set configure
options accordingly), so performance when playing TV
or recordings is fine = about 10% CPU for
mythfrontend.

Thanks for any suggestions.