[mythtv-users] PVR-250 and Lack of Color Depth

Rolando J. Nieves rjnieves at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 22:48:42 EST 2004

Hello, all,

I've been using my Myth box for about a couple of months now and for the
most part I'm very pleased. The only problem I've not been able to lick is
the fact that my PVR-250 (or my GFFX5200 TV-out) can't seem to handle color
depth well. Whenever I record series that are mostly darker-than-usual
lighting (Enterprise, 24, CSI) I see the type of color "banding" that I used
to have with my first couple of 3D accelerator cards (not to be confused
with the green bands most other people have been talking about). The
"banding" was (at least in the 3D accelerator case) due to lack of color
depth: 16 vs. 32 bits (remember the whole 3Dfx vs. NVidia fiasco?). I don't
know enough about the PVR-250 to say that color depth is my problem but the
symptoms do look similar. I've tried to play around with picture controls
(contrast/brightness to try and increase the difference between color tones)
to no avail. BTW I've checked that the signal coming from my sattellite box
looks richer than the PVR-250 output. I can also certify my X server is
running at 24-bit depth.

Does anyone know if there are any settings I'm missing regarding the
PVR-250? Am I barking up the wrong tree by chasing a color depth issue?
Could it be the NVidia TV encoder?

Relevant setup:
Fedora Core 1
Hauppaugue PVR-250 OEM
Firmware version 21288
IVTV 0.1.9
PNY GeForce FX 5200
NVidia Display Drivers v.4363
X-Server at 1024x768x24
MythTV 0.13 from ATrpms (will upgrade soon)
Recording at: 640x480 4500-6000Kbps
Outputting to: Samsung PCL545R HDTV via S-Video

Thanks for any input.

Rolando.