[mythtv-users] Migrating from one box to another?

Brian_Meehan at Nexpress.com Brian_Meehan at Nexpress.com
Wed Feb 25 14:15:52 EST 2004

> My question is this:  Is there an easy way to migrate from one backend
> server (with @ 30 recordings) to another one?  I need to move the data
and
> the recordings as well.  Nothing else...no music...no photos...no games.
> Just crap I recorded.  I'm assuming I just have to copy the data from one
> mySQL Database to the other and copy the files over.  Are there any steps
> I'm missing here?

I've done this a few times when I've rebuilt my system. You'll need all the
.nuv files from your video partition, as well as a dump of the MySQL
database. This is really easy to do, and is in the MythTV How-Tos:

This is a flat text file and can be edited.

What I've done is installed a new instance of MythTV per Jarod's docs. Once
its up and running with proper channels and programming, stop the backend
and exit from the frontend.

Copy the files back over to the new machine.

Edit out all the stuff in the SQL dump about making tables. All you really
want is the data. Setup creates the tables already. As you read through the
data, it should make sense what things you want to keep, and what things
you can ditch. Keep the tables for recordings, markup and old recordings.
Settings if you customized alot. Don't worry about card inputs or channels
or programming. Don't worry about the games or music.

If you've customized your lircd.conf files, make sure you grab them too!

 IMPORTANT NOTICE:
The information in this email is confidential and proprietary to NexPress
Solutions LLC and may be legally privileged.  It is for the intended
recipient(s) named above only.  Any unauthorized review, printing, copying,

use or distribution of this email by anyone else is prohibited and may be a

criminal offense.  If you have received this email in error, please notify
the
sender immediately by reply email and delete the original message.