[mythtv-users] MythTV design/distro questions.

Berant Lemmenes berant at lemmenes.com
Wed Feb 25 16:30:15 EST 2004

Hello all!  I'm going to be setting up a first time MythTV system and
had some questions regarding the setup of both the hardware and
software.

Here is what I have:

Front-end:  VIA EPIA-M6000 with either Debian unstable, or pulling
minimyth (or similar) off a TFTP server.

Back end:
Debian woody system with a 300gig raid5 array.

My two questions are:

1) where does the TV card have to go?
	Reading in the MythTV docs and the archives of this system it looks
like the TV card would go into the back-end system... (based on the
section about creating additional front-ends).
2) Can I use debian woody as the back end?
	Debian woody packages are no longer being kept up to date since version
12 and above need a a version of QT above woody's version.

Is it possible to run woody as the backend and debian ustable as the
front end?  that would get around the QT issue as unstable has a current
enough version of QT.

I haven't checked what the dep's are for the .14 mythtv-backend debian
unstable package is (ie if I can installt that with out QT etc)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Berant