[mythtv-users] PVR-250 vs. PVR350

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 27 17:22:06 EST 2004

Quoting "Brian M. Bennett" <brianbennett at nc.rr.com>:

> I have a 350 and am not using tv-out.. .I am using my geforce 44o for
> tv-out.... Should I be using the 350's tv-out instead? How much effort
> is required to make the switch? Should I see improvements over the 440?
> Thanks.
Improvements in quality - Yes.

Improvements in reliability and flexibility - No.

The PVR-350's TV-out will not work well for non-MPEG2 video, games, etc.  (As it
has no hardware scaling/overlay capability, except for decoding of complete
MPEG2 streams, it is just a dumb framebuffer)

Also a lot of people have had problems with system hangs when using the 350's
TV-out.  (Others have no problems at all, for example I think I read that Isaac
himself uses a 350's TV-out without problems, but it seems that more people have
trouble than those that do not.)