[mythtv-users] Alsa and MythMusic questions

Len Borowski len at lenster.com
Fri Feb 27 17:55:54 EST 2004

My reseach in the archives of this list indicates that the Alsa support in
Mythmusic is incomplete but that some folks have gotten it to work.  I,
unfortunately, am not one of those folks.  I have an nforce based board
which works fine with ALSA for MythTV and Xine but not mythmusic.  I am
currently using Myth 0.14 on slackware. If I specify the output device as
/dev/dsp things work fine except but that isnt satisfactory because I am
trying to only using the digital out on my motherboard.  While I can
specify the input on my receiver(analog or digital) I rather not have to
do that.

This leads me to a few questions...

o Does anyone currently use the digital out on a nforce based board while
using mythmusic?  If so, how'd did you get it going?  I've tried updating
the "AudioDevice" in the myth database to "/dev/pcm/pcmC0D2p",
"ALSA:default", "ALSA:spdif" and nothing works.

o I got the impression that myth usings mpg123 to play mp3s. Am I correct?
if so, does anyone think its reasonable to hack the myth code to specify
the command line options? I can play music on the command line using
mpg123(well, really mpg321 which is the "Free" version of mpg123) and so
if I can play with the options that are passed to mpg123 I should be able
to solve my problems.  If I'm not correct and mpg123 isnt being used to
play music, how is myth playing mp3s and does anyone have thoughts on how
I can get it to use the ALSA devices?

o Would getting the latest CVS of mythmusic work help?

-Len