[mythtv-users] Best non-Hauppauge TV-out cards?

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 01:31:29 EST 2004

>From: Scott Anderson <scottanderson at comcast.net>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Best non-Hauppauge TV-out cards?
>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:56:29 -0500
>
>I have a PVR-350, but due to some issues (detailed previously) as well as
>things like mplayer and mame not running on the pvr, I'm considering
>purchasing a reasonably cheap TV-out card until things get ironed out. I
>need to keep the WAF up to preserve domestic tranquility, and the best way
>might be to spend *more* money. ;-)
>
>There are some good deals on GeForce4 MX cards on newegg.com... has anyone
>had good experience using them with Myth? What seems to be the best/most
>stable/good quality card to use?
>
>Regards,
>-scott

I have the PNY MX440se.  It is 4X, an older model.  I bought it about
6 months ago.  I don't think you can get them anymore, since the 8X
cards seem to be prevalent.  At the time it was $20 AR.

The SVideo out is rock solid except for single-pixel lines, which tend
to waiver slightly.  I know that the 350 is supposed to give the best
output for SVideo since it provides synced, interlaced output, but I
would find it hard to believe that any other output could be visually
much better than the output of my PNY.

You can also do XvMC on this card and it supports overscan
adjustments since it has an nVidia TV-out chip.  As I said, I don't
think this card is available anymore, so when you look check out
all the features you want on the particular card (even if you look at
another PNY).  For XvMC you want nVidia and for overscan support
you need a supported TV-out.  I have seen a number of deals on
similar 8X cards in the $40-$50 range.  If you catch a good sale you
might even be able to get one locally at BestBuy or OfficeMax when
they have a sale.

HTH!  Good luck!

-- Harry O.