[mythtv-users] Feature request: e-mail notify

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sun Feb 29 18:58:49 EST 2004

I just noticed my mythfilldatabase failed this morning, and I think
yesterday as well.

So I got to thinking, what about an admin e-mail notification setting
that would notify someone upon certain events.

I would want it to have an SMTP setting because I won't be running
sendmail or postfix on the box, nor will I be checking e-mail directly
on it.  I'd want it to send outbound mail to my network server (or to
your ISP's server.)

Conditions justifying an e-mail might be:

mythfilldatabase failed
HD Space getting low on partition holding recordings directory
backend crashed
Someone attempted to bypass the security locks and failed (in other
words the kids are trying to guess passwords to watch adult shows)
MySQL server unreachable

It's just an idea, and I know much of what I suggest could be done with
another app or by modifying scripts on the system, but integration into
MythTV would be nice.  Then again, the configuration screens for MythTV
are already soooooo complex, I can't imagine adding another screen.

-Tony