[mythtv-users] Initial questions

Albert Santoni gamegod at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 1 20:54:49 EST 2004

Antony Gelberg wrote:

>Hi all, I never got any responses to my post which I quote below.  I'd
>appreciate it if someone could take a minute to give me some guidance.
>
>On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 10:24:14PM +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I use Debian unstable on my main workstation.  I'm moving to a new flat
>>next month, and I want to put some thought into the entertainment aspect.
>>:)
>>
>>A friend of mine has a TiVo (rare, and no longer available here in the
>>UK), and I love it.  Naturally I was pleased to find out about Myth.
>>
>>As I'm effectively starting with a blank canvas, I was going to look at
>>a projector and screen, into which I'd plug my DVD player and Sky
>>Digital box.
>>
>>My PC hardware is currently in a full tower, as I use the PC for music
>>recording, but I planned to pull most of it out and put it in a midi tower
>>(one of those cool ones that wouldn't look out of place _discreetly_
>>in a living room).  Ideally I'd want a Shuttle case, but they are just
>>not expandable enough.
>>
>>I've got a couple of questions at this point:
>>
>>1. With my current Radeon 9000 Pro (which has DVI), and a PVR-350,
>>which is the correct output to plug into the projector?  I'm guessing
>>the PVR-350, but I'm still learning how all these pieces fit together.
>>
>>2. More importantly, does a Myth box have to be dedicated to the task?
>>I have a pretty good spec (Athlon 2600, 512MB RAM), so I'm confident
>>that my hardware is up to running Myth and performing my normal
>>computing at the same time.  I mean more from a logistical point of
>>view - e.g. if I want to be working in X with my normal DVI TFT screen,
>>and my flatmate wants to be using Myth on the projector.
>>
>>Thanks for your advice - I'm looking forward to this!
>>
>>Antony

I'm not sure how you can run Mythfrontend out of your TV-out, while
having something else on your LCD screen. I guess there must be some
sort of twin-view thing you can use, but not with a PVR-350 and a Radeon
9000. (only GeForce cards?)

Since you have a hardware encoder card, you should probably be able to
use the machine for both Myth and desktop stuff at the same time.

Maybe someone can clear up if you can even USE the tv-out on the ATI
card... I have no idea.

Sorry