[mythtv-users] Buffer Overflow Help

zomb at rogers.com zomb at rogers.com
Fri Jan 2 03:35:56 EST 2004

I relaize this question keeps circulating around and each has a different fix,
but I'm lost now. I've tried everything I can to get myth to work fine on the
following

AMD 1.0ghz t-bird
A-bit kt7e 133
768MB RAM
ATI TV Wonder
SNDBLSTR LIVE!

I have ALSA installed and working, as well as the BTTV driver, but every
time I try to watch LiveTV, I get video stuttering co-inciding with my
prebuffering for pauses, and then the audio buffers overflow. I've played
around with the settings in mythsetup for a while, but to no avail. I changed
the audio input to ALSA:hw:0,0 and it helped, but i still get choppy video.
Here are my dmesg and myth logs snipits:

DMESG
---------
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/controlC0
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/controlC1
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/controlC2
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/controlC3
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/timer
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 0000:00:0d.0
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/hwC0D0
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/midiC0D0
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/pcmC0D3p
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/pcmC0D2c
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/pcmC0D1c
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/pcmC0D0p
devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/pcmC0D0c
bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363).
bttv0: OCERR @ 2f24401c,bits: HSYNC OFLOW FBUS OCERR*

MYTH
-------

Opening ALSA audio device 'hw:0,0'.
2004-01-02 03:10:52 Using XV port 53
2004-01-02 03:10:53 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
2004-01-02 03:10:55 prebuffering pause
---snip---
2004-01-02 03:11:04 prebuffering pause
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
Error determining sound output delay: Broken pipe
2004-01-02 03:11:05 prebuffering pause
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-01-02 03:11:06 prebuffering pause
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-01-02 03:11:07 prebuffering pause
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
2004-01-02 03:11:08 prebuffering pause
2004-01-02 03:11:10 prebuffering pause
2004-01-02 03:11:11 prebuffering pause
2004-01-02 03:11:12 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2004-01-02 03:11:12 Changing from None to None

I think i've re-compiled my kernel about 5 or 6 times tonight, and ALSA at
least 5 times. Any help at all would be greatly greatly appreciated.