[mythtv-users] PVR 250's OEM on ebay for $88

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 10:21:36 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 January 2004 23:55, Shane Warren wrote:
> Tony Maro wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777626848&categ
> >ory=3761
> >

> > Supposedly he has 190+ of these things.  OEM without extra's
> > meaning no remote either.
> >
> > The seller doesn't have a huge rating, but it is 100% and he's been
> > online since 2001.
> >
> > No, I have no affiliation,  just a favorite search set on E-Bay.
> >
> > -Tony

> I actually bought from that guy on ebay about 2 weeks ago, I bought a
> sound card for a mythtv box and he had it here amazingly fast (I had
> it 2 days after I did a buy it now).
>
> As for the card, it is a pvr250MCE he is selling, I bought 2 of those
> from another guy on ebay.  The 250MCE does not have support for a
> remote like the 250.  I had no problems getting these cards working
> in my mythtv box, its just a matter of building from the latests ivtv
> cvs.

I know I should probably take this question to a WinXP MCE forum
(yuck!), but I thought somebody here might know... these -250's are
WinXP-MCE pulls, right (supposedly)?  That makes sense; everything I've
seen on this list has pointed to the PVR-250 "Freestyle" as being the
card shipped with the M$-partnered HTPCs.  Now for the confusion...
friends of mine recently bought one direct from the Gateway
brick-and-mortar store and asked me to help set it up.  I was expecting
to see a really good quality picture (they have DVI output w/Gateway
flat-panel plasma), but when I went to "Live TV", the picture was
pretty crappy (DVDs and video files looked great, so it was definitely
the tuner/compression).  I opened up the device manager, and the card
showed as a WinTV PVR-PCI 88xx (or whatever that model was).  Their
incoming cable signal was good and strong, so I don't think it was
that.  So, are the older WinTV PVR-PCI cards really that much crappier
than the PVR-x50 cards (the hardware encoder on the 88xx cards *is*
supported under Windows, right)?

Basically, I'm wondering if my friends got ripped off by receiving an
old 'back-inventory' model when they should have received a machine
with a Freestyle in it.  I wouldn't put it past the folks that sold it
to them, as they told my friends they needed a separate standalong
Gateway DVD player (which they bought, not realizing that the whole
point of a HTPC is that you don't need other components).

Thanks,

JAC