[mythtv-users] pvr-250 remote with manually compiled lirc

James Colannino email2jamez at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 2 18:36:48 EST 2004

Hey everyone.  Using the atrpm's lirc modules, I was able to get the
PVR-250 remote with the PVR-250 reciever plugged into the back of the
card working perfectly.  However, I decided to use my own custom
kernel/modules because of the current situation with the atrpms packages
and the ivtv-firmware packages.  The ivtv drivers with the pvr-250's
firmware work without a hitch.  However, when I try getting lirc to
work, the modules do load, but then when I run lircd and then irw, I
don't get anything coming from the remote.  However, if I boot into the
Hard Drive containing the atrpms drivers, it works perfectly.  I
compared the output of dmesg between the atrpms' kernel and drivers as
opposed to my own and this is what I found:

For the atrpm's installation:

lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 10

For my own lirc compilation (with a 2.4.22 kernel and version 0.6.6 of
the lirc source code:)

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
bttv: driver version 0.7.107 loaded
bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
i2c-core.o: driver i2c ir driver registered.
lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
i2c-core.o: client [Hauppauge IR] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 3).

The output, as you can see, is extremely different.  I have no idea what
to make of this.  I'm using a matching /etc/modules.conf file, and in
the lirc config, I tried telling it to use both the haupauge and the
haupauge_dvb drivers.  Neither one had any effect.  If anyone knows
what's going wrong I would be extremely grateful.  This has me so
frustrated :(

James