[mythtv-users] FIX: Troubles installing ivtv with rpms - Jarods install guide

Ian Lesnet ian at whereisian.com
Fri Jan 2 20:02:55 EST 2004

I found out the solution to this issue.

I have used the great Redhat 9/Atrpms guide compiled by Jarod C. Wilson to install mythtv about 6 times over the last few months.  This time I got stuck on a horrible dependency error when installing IVTV. Eventually I looked at the Fedora setup guide here: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/.  It included lines to download and install the firmware that I think need to be included in Jarods guide (now?):

****THIS PART IS DONE BEFORE THE apt-get ivtv step*****
To start the install process and satisfy all dependencies, you'll first need get the source rpm of the firmware for the card(s). Due to licensing issues, a binary can't be distributed, but a source rpm is allowed, and from that, you can build a binary rpm:

# wget http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/common/ivtv-firmware/ivtv-firmware-17_21288-1.at.src.rpm
# rpmbuild --rebuild ivtv-firmware-17_21288-1.at.src.rpm
# rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ivtv-firmware-17_21288-1.at.i386.rpm
*****Now continue with the first step of ivtv instilation - dependencies are all met and ivtv installs*****

Now install the actual ivtv driver components:

# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL
# apt-get install ivtv
This has been broken down into two lines......etc.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.