[mythtv-users] Yet another hardware list

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 3 00:55:23 EST 2004

On Jan 1, 2004, at 20:21, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Well, I promised myself I'd never post a message like this, but I got
> a bonus
> this year and my wonderful wife insisted that I spend it only on
> myself.  It
> wasn't enough for that new PowerBook (or even an iBook), but it's
> enough to
> build a new Myth box.  So, I thought I'd do a sanity check on the
> following
> components:
>
> Antec Overture case
> AOpen AK79G-MAX mobo (onboard GF4MX)
> Athlon XP 2600+/333FSB
> 512MB DDR Dual Channel Kingston RAM (PC 2700)
> Seagate Barracuda V 120GB (EIDE interface)
> AOpen combo drive DVD/CD-RW (ATAPI)
>
> I'll be using my existing tuners (2 M179s + 1 WinTV 401 PCI)
>
> My main questions are:
>
> (1) Anybody have any experience with the above mobo?  Comments?  I've
> already
> listened to all of the warnings about nForce2, and I'm taking the
> plunge.
> I'm going to try FC1 to try and minimize nForce2 APIC problems.

Haven't touched it, but FC1 is probably a good thing to at least start
out with. :)

> (2) I've read some reviews that said the Antec Overture has a stupid
> internal
> air flow design & only one possible exhaust fan... the reviewer's
> Athlon XP
> 2600+ ran pretty hot.  Any comments?  Possible other full ATX cases I
> should
> consider, or additional CPU cooling that will fit in the Overture?

CoolerMaster has a new case that looks just like the ATC-620C-BX1 I've
got, but with modifications to accommodate a full ATX board. If it had
been around when I got my case, I woulda jumped on it instead...

> (3) Kingston RAM okay?

Never had a problem with it here. But note one thing: you say 512MB DDR
Dual Channel... For dual channel operation, you would need a pair of
256MB chips, and then on top of that, nForce2 boards can't operate in
dual channel mode if you're using the onboard GF4MX.

> (4) I'd really like a slot-loading combo (DVD/CD-RW) drive, but can't
> seem to
> find any at a reasonable price.  (A DVD+/-RW isn't currently in the
> budget.
> Also, any suggestions on what CD (combo) drivers are quietest?

Plextor is always a good choice, but never a cheap choice... I'm
perfectly happy w/the Sony drive I've got (a plain DVD drive, OEM
boxed). I've also got fairly quiet Teac and Samsung drives in other
machines, but no clue really what is quiet and what isn't. Most of my
computers are too loud already to really notice optical drive noise. :)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/