[mythtv-users] Output to HDTV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 3 00:59:39 EST 2004

On Jan 1, 2004, at 21:10, Shane Warren wrote:

> I have set up a mythtv box w/ 2 pvr250's and have them grabbing
> stations from my cable provider (ntsc).  My Tv supports vga and dvi
> and I want to use myth as both a TV machine and a DVD player.
> The problem I have is that DVD's look excellent, as I hook to the TV
> using vga at 1280x720p, but TV playback looks horrible because of the
> interlaced mpeg playback on a progressive scan output.  I have turned
> on the mythtv's de-interlacer but while it does help the interlacing
> makes almost anything but still pictures unwatchable.
> I'm sure others w/ HDTV's and non HDTV cable/satellite have this exact
> problem.

Nope.

> I'm wondering if I get one of the GeForce4MX's that output VGA,DVI,
> and s-video, can I use the one card to output s-video and VGA or DVI?
> I would use the s-video output for watching TV since the TV's
> de-interlacer would fix up the interlaced output, then I would
> problably use the DVI output for everything else.  This seems like it
> would be the best solution, but I'm not sure that I can get the card
> to switch between s-video and DVI (and running at different
> resolutions).
> Have any other HDTV owners tried something else that avoids the
> interlacing effect but maintains the excellent DVD playback, or should
> I drop the dream of using the mythtv box for playing back everything
> and just get a seperated DVD player?

Both DVD and TV look quite good on my system. I'm feeding a 960x540p
signal through an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component Video adapter.
Perhaps it is something related to your video card. I'm using a GF4MX
(nForce2 onboard video, actually). What are you using?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/