[mythtv-users] Latest MythTV CVS and DEC2000-t DVB box = kernel panic

Des Herriott Des.Herriott at oracle.com
Mon Jan 5 08:00:37 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm tracking the latest CVS MythTV, both for the CLE266 support and also
the DVB support, which I know is changing fairly quickly.

Just updated to the latest CVS release of MythTV yesterday, and
mythbackend is now causing a kernel panic :(  I'm guessing the panic is
in the DEC2000-t USB driver code (from latest CVS dvb-kernel), although
I'm not sure if it's specific to the DEC2000-t or a general DVB problem.

Anyway, I initially thought it was a frontend problem, but it gets
triggered by a remote frontend too, as soon as I try to watch live TV.

The panic happens every time, with mythbackend on both an EPIA M-10000
box (kernel 2.4.23-epia1), and an Athlon 2600+ box (stock Gentoo kernel
2.4.22-r1).  So not EPIA-specific.

I haven't been able to get any useful output from the kernel panic yet,
I briefly see a kernel panic message mentioning mythbackend, then a load
of "__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed: gfp=0x20/0" messages
scroll off the screen.

So I guess the question is, what's changed in DVB handling in the last
few days that would expose a bug in the DVB driver code?  And has anyone
else seen this happen (DEC2000-t or any other DVB device)?

--
Des Herriott
des.herriott at oracle.com