[mythtv-users] XvMC errors (was Getting XVMC working and knowing it?)

michael brown spam-me at houston.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 05:28:12 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "michael brown"

> The way I can tell that XvMC is involved is that ......

One other thing I failed to mention is that I get this message from
mythfrontend:
Using XvMC version: 1.0
I assume that means that mythfrontend is about to enable it.

When it dies, I get this message in the log file:
Unable to create XvMC Context

My estimation of what is happening in my installation is as follows:
When mythfrontend allocates or creates the XvMC Context the first time,
it works fine.  However, for some reason, it appears that it doesn't get
released by mythfrontend when I stop watching video.  If I try to switch
back to live TV or watch another recording, myth seems to try to
"reallocate" the XvMC context.  I'm guessing that since it's already
"allocated", X returns an error and mythfrontend dies.  Once
mythfrontend expires, X is all cleaned up and a new instance of
mythfrontend can proceed to play full screen video, one time.

I'm hesitant to completely blame myth for this, as I know very little of
how these things work.  It could be something in my X installation
(4.3.0) or the nVidia (4496) drivers I'm using.  I'm also one of the
relatively few people in the world that runs an xfs (font server)
daemon, so it could even be related to that I suppose.  ;-)  No one else
seems to have this problem, so I suspect it's something peculiar to my
particular Gentoo installation, such is life.

michael brown