[mythtv-users] Simple transmitter-is it safe?

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jan 5 13:05:36 EST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Stuart Felenstein wrote:

> Reading the lirc documentation on the simple transmitter, seems to
> suggest the serial port may not be safe.
> Any comments on this , as I know people have built them?
> Did you go with the suggested options for eitehr a bigger resistor or
> amplifier circuit?

I assume you're talking about an IR transmitter?  I built both the
homebrew transmitter and receiver as shown on the LIRC site and it works
fine.  The RS232 specs provide very a very robust electrical specification
for the port and it's well buffered so I can't imagine you would blow it
by just sticking an LED across it.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/