[mythtv-users] MythTV Box crashing

David Brieck Jr. myth at brieck.com
Mon Jan 5 16:59:51 EST 2004

Hi,
I'm having some stability problems that I'm trying to track down.
The system will usually lockup either during a recording or at the end
of a recording using MythTV 0.13 but it also has happened while the
machine was just sitting there. I'm using the latest IVTV from CVS.

There isn't anything in the logs that would indicate what the problem
could be. On the rare times I see it crashing mythbackend usually takes
up almost 100% cpu for no apparent reason.

Just to reiterate, the box could run for 4 hours or 15 hours then crash,
but never as soon as I start using it with either LiveTV or recording in
Myth. The screen will be frozen, and the scroll and caps lock lights are
blinking (indicating a kernel panic).

If anyone has an idea about what could be causing this I'd really
appreciate the help, I'm at a real loss.

I posted this to the ivtv list but wasn't able to get a helpful
response.

System Stats:

Mandrake 9.2
ASUS A7V8X-X/LAN KT400 RTL
AMD ATHLON XP 2500 / 333 BARTON
GeForce4 MX440 8X
256 MB DDR333
2 X Hauppauge PVR-250 (ivtv drviers)
Kernel: 2.4.22-21mm.2mdk
Binary NVIDIA Drivers (1.0-4496)
250 GB IDE Hard Drive (XFS Filesystem and LVM)