[mythtv-users] Poor video quality

Axium Computer Services axium at axiumcomputerservices.com
Mon Jan 5 19:13:30 EST 2004

Axium Computer Services wrote:

> I just finished installing myth yesterday.  I have the following setup
>
> Backend
>
> PIII 500
> ~160GB HDD
> 2 PVR-250
> Fedora Linux (using Jarod's guide)
>
> Frontend
>
> Xbox with font hack and MythTV-Xbox
>

> After setting up the system to record a few shows I left it for the
> night.  When I got up this morning, the backend had crashed and the
> logs had about 4MB of lines like these:
> [mpeg1video @ 0x8621c68]*invalid* *mb* type in B Frame at 26 22
> [mpeg1video @ 0x8621c68]*invalid* *mb* type in B Frame at 7 23
> [mpeg1video @ 0x8621c68]ac-tex damaged at 12 25
> [mpeg1video @ 0x8621c68]ac-tex damaged at 35 25
>
> I'm assuming these were generated while looking for commercials.
>
> So I started the backup up again and them started the front end.  The
> video quality is horrible there is extensive tearing, skipping, and
> anything else that can happen to a digital video.  The sound for the
> most part is good.
>
> The frontend while playing the videos also produces messages similar
> to the ones in the backend log.
> Any help in isolating the problem would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steven Potter

I have been spending more time monitoring myth and have noticed that the
recording is really erratic.  Some shows will record fine while others
will be soo bad you can not watch them.

all of this with myth set to verbose all and there is very little
information.

Any ideas on how to track this down?

Thanks

Steven Potter