[mythtv-users] Yet another 'review my stats please' email :)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 6 03:18:25 EST 2004

On Jan 5, 2004, at 00:00, Daniel Jimenez wrote:

> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2004, at 18:33, Daniel Jimenez wrote:
>> I'm highly dubious that a Celery 550 can play back video smoothly,
>> unless you're going really low rez, low bitrate and RTjpeg. For
>> starters, that's rather slow as far as MHz, then its a crippled
>> processor with no SSE support. But by all means, give it a shot. :)
>> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
>
> I'm using an old HP DEC100c entertainment center machine to do the job
> here. I've read others are able to software decode while a PVR-350
> does hardware encoding (they don't have hardware decode working yet)
> and it works great.

Decoding mpeg2 is another story from mpeg4. Not sure how it compares
with RTjpeg, but mpeg2 is much less work to decode than mpeg4, so in
that case, you might have better luck. I'm still dubious, though I had
an Athlon 800 that played back full-rez mpeg2 streams perfectly. I just
got a few old motherboards and processors I may do some low-end work on
(a PIII-600, a Celeron 800 and a dual PIII-600).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/