[mythtv-users] Details on MythTV Modules?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 16:27:11 EST 2004

> Is there some place where users can go and see what
features
> are offered in the MythTV modules?  Does each module
have its
> own website?  Or is there a section on Mythtv.org
that I'm
> just not seeing?

Being and open-source project, documentation is not
always
uniform.  Many get by by fishing around, trying
options, trying
the obvious keys (e.g., analagous to the TV keys).
Many
modules have README files that you can find in the
0.13 sources
or by brosing the CVS tree even if you use
pre-compiled
binaries (just be aware that functions may have
changed in CVS).

> For example, does the current version of mythweb
allow you to
> listen to the music in mythmusic, etc?

If you search the archives, you'll find a patch to
mythweb that
streams music at reduced bitrates.  This is an example
of an area
where people's needs are very different.  Using the
streaming
patch, I was able to listen to my home collection at
work.  Those
who are on a local net would most likely want to link
directly to
the music file at full bitrate.  Unless someone has
the motivation
to code the various options, it's likely to end up as
one or the
other or neither.  I have a feeling that lots of
people have done
various customizations but haven't shared them because
they just
don't have the time to pack them up neatly for general
use, or they
feel that they're needs are unusual.