[mythtv-users] IR Blaster

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Wed Jan 7 02:28:09 EST 2004

So, the last of my parts finally came in today, and I'm going to start
putting together my MythTV box together tomorrow. Up until today I had
everything pretty much figured out except for how I was going to control my
cable box, so that's what I spent today researching. It looks like a lot of
people have had luck using the simple transceiver diagram from lirc.org. I
don't really mind putting one together myself, except I wasn't quite sure
how I was going to make it as nice as the Tivo solution where the IR led is
encased in the molded plastic and shaped to overhang a cable box without
being in the way or looking too ugly. Then it hit me. I'm not going to
repair my Tivo, and even if I was, the IR cable is two headed, and how many
people ever use both heads, anyway? So, I took my Tivo IR cable, and where
the cable splits in the middle, I cut off one of the sides leading to the IR
led. Now, I'm going to cut off one connector of a serial cable, and solder
the proper pins to the leads connected to the IR led, along with a resistor,
and wrap the joint up with some electrical tape or something, and I'm
thinking that I should have an instant serial to IR blaster cable that
should overhang the cable box very nicely. Possibly I'm not the first person
with this idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, in case nobody
thought of it yet. Could be handy for people who also have Tivos laying
around, or who have friends with Tivos that they can convince to part with
one unused head of the IR cable.

Shawn Asmussen