[mythtv-users] D.Vine series 5's VFD

myth at fsck.ch myth at fsck.ch
Thu Jan 8 03:34:55 EST 2004

as this page

  http://www.ahanix.com/support/vfd.html

shows, the D.Vine 5 (and Dign HV 5, which the same case is called by european
retailers) VFD is a Samsung HD44780 device, which is already fully supported
by LCDproc.

the problem is that the usb carrier module is not, so you either write a
new usb driver or rewire the display to your parallel port.

a wiring diagram can be found here:

  http://www.markuszehnder.ch/projects/lcdplugin/images/lcd_parallel_8bit.gif

pin 15 and 16 are for the display brightness and are not present on our
module. i think they can just be ignored. the link also contains a lot of
information about wiring/setting up VFDs in general.

note that i did not yet rewire my display and that i am not an electronic
expert, so everything i just stated may lead to the destruction of your
equipment and i do not claim responsibility for anything that happens to you.

let me know if you find out important things, get it to work or decide to
write an usb driver.

hope that helps