[mythtv-users] Tivo sues EchoStar for providingMyth-likefeatures....gulp

Pete's MythTV myth at scantech.no-ip.com
Thu Jan 8 06:15:24 EST 2004

I had a look at the patent too.   It seems to me that the thing they are
trying to protect is the ability to record & playback at the same time, and
hence provide timeshifting.  It does mention in there that this could be
done with a bank of VCRs, therefore they can't really patent timeshifting as
a concept.   All that stuff about mediafilters, etc is just a load of waffle
describing their method.

Back in 1994, I can recall doing a series of early NVOD demo's in Europe and
the US using a broadcast spec video server.  I forget the product name or
vendor, but it was certainly capable of doing simultaneous record and
playback of MPEG streams.  We were recording off a VCD player, and playing
out five streams with two minute time differences, all at the same time.

It's not just Echostar they have to beat.  Scientific-Atlanta, Motorola,
Pace all make PVR boxes for Cable & Sat providers.  That looks like a whole
lot of legal costs to me !!

We shall see what happens.

Pete