[mythtv-users] DVB: Recording length keeps changing!!

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 03:45:37 EST 2004

Paul McDermott wrote:
> Anyone else noticed this?
>
> I've just been watching a recording. The "Watch recordings" screen tells
> me that it was recorded on Tues Jan 8, 6pm - 6.20pm. So it should be 20
> mins long.
>
> When I start to watch and then press pause it tells me I have watched
> xx:xx of 17:22 minutes. If I press skip forward I then get yy:yy of
> 19:06. Later I see 15:37 of 15:37. The recording then ends abruptly at
> 17:22 of 17:22.
>
> Anyone else seen this happening? Why does the recording length change?
> Why is my recording cut short? (NB This is a completed recording, not
> something that is still being recorded).

I've had this with a Nova-T card.  I discovered the problem was that the
recording had errors in it which meant that at certain points in
playback the length calculations were wrong which also meant that
skipping forward and back went to the wrong place (e.g. instead of 30s
forward I went 2mins back!).

Take a look at the log for your backend and see if you are getting
warnings like this:
DVB#0 WARNING - Transport Stream Continuity Error.
if you are then your recordings are probably screwed!  I solved this by
adding a kernel parameter when loading the dvb-ttpci module to increase
the buffers:
modprobe dvb-ttpci buffers=4
(For the 1.0.1 dvb modules).

JD