[mythtv-users] One capture card two video/audio sources == possible?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 11:24:06 EST 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 09:04, Chuck Connors wrote:
> I am using one ATI TV Wonder VE capture card which has a composite
> and a coaxial input. I am currently subscribed to DirecTv as well as
> my local cable company.
>
> I've managed to set up the DirecTv video feed into the composite in
> and sound from the receiver (via RCA plugs to stereo mini plug) going
> into the onboard sound line in.
>
> The local cable feed is going into the coaxial input on the same
> capture card with the audio coming out of the capture card and into
> the onboard mic in.
>
> This set up works fine for video. Myth can change channels on either
> source (DTV via serial control) and record.
>
> How can I enable the mic in for the cable feed? Is it possible? When
> running mythtv-setup, it seems that the audio device is tied to the
> capture card and not to individual inputs. Perhaps I'm overlooking
> something, but I can't see how to set this ....
>
> BTW, the TV Wonder VE does not have bttaudio, so that's not an
> option.
>
> Thanks

You don't need btaudio.  Does your capture card have an audio line-in?
It should.  Plug the sound output from the DirecTV receiver into your
capture card's line-in; connect the capture card's line-out to your
sound card's line-in.  Assuming you have your sound driver/mixer set up
correctly, this should work.  Your capture card should switch audio
sources along with the video source; so when it switches to the
composite input for video it should also switch to the line-in for
audio; when it switches to the tuner (coax) input, it should get both
audio & video from it.

Incidentally, this doesn't work for me on my WinTV-radio PCI (401) card.
When I switch to my S-Video input, I get either no sound or crossover
sound from the tuner.  I've posted to the list about this, but no one
has reported a working setup like this with a WinTV 401.  One other
person reported the same problem as me, but I don't believe he ever
solved it either.  I've got 2 M-179s waiting to go into my machine, so
I'm not overly worried, but I'd still like to figure out the issue...

Anyway, hopefully you won't have that problem with your card.

-JAC