[mythtv-users] Internal Video player

Albert Santoni gamegod at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 9 18:58:38 EST 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Albert Santoni wrote:
>
>> Isaac Richards wrote:
>>
>>> It's great that you _are_ integrating things more than some other
>>> people are attempting (ie, the streaming thread on -dev), so I
>>> consider that a great step forward for mythvideo/dvd.  All I'm
>>> saying is that everything could be done with the native video player
>>> in mythtv with a little more effort, is all.
>>>
>>> Isaac
>>>

>> I use .MOV, .AVI, .ASF, and .RAM playback in MythVideo (thanks to
>> MPlayer.)
>>
>> Could you REALLY implement .MOV and .RAM playback in the internal
>> player? I'm all for it, but it might be a bit of work.
>

> Those format are no more work than any other with xine-lib.
>
> Supported file types are: DVD, VCD, audio CD, mpeg ps(.mpg, .mpeg),
> mpeg ts (.ts), ogg (.ogg, .ogm), avi, asf (.asf, .wmv, .wma),
> quicktime (.mov, .mp4),  mpeg-video (.mpv, .m2v), mpeg-audio (.mp2,
> .mp3), Sega Saturn FILM (.cpk), Id Software RoQ (.roq), wav
> (.wav),Autodesk FLIC (.fli), real (.rm, .ra, .ram), raw dv (.dv),
> network graphics format (.png, .mng), Creative Voice (.voc), Sun/NeXT
> SND/AU (.snd, .au), Wing Commander III (.mve), Westwood Studios files
> (.vqa, .aud), Electronic Arts WVE (.wve),  AIFF (.aif, .aiff),
> YUV4MPEG2 (.y4m), SMJPEG (.mjpg), raw AC3 (.ac3), Dialogic VOX (.vox),
> TechnoTrend PVA (.pva), Playstation STR (.str), Nullsoft Video (.nsv),
> 4X Technologies (.4xm)
>
> Matroska support is coming along as well.
>

> Codecs supported: mpeg 1/2, mpeg 4 (aka OpenDivX), ms mpeg 4, divx
> 3/4/5, windows media video 7, motion jpeg, Cinepak, DV, ms video 1
> (msvc), ms rle, Sorenson SVQ1/SVQ3, creative yuv (cyuv), roq video, QT
> RLE, SMC, RPZA, theora
>

>> What about giving a configure option (--enable-xinelib?) that would
>> allow playback through the internal player (or Donavan Stanley's
>> player) of these special formats....
>> Good idea, bad idea?
>

> I'm going to make it simpler than that.  The library will be able to
> be loaded dynamicly and used on the fly if it's not there then things
> will work as the always have.  That way no #ifdefs are needed just a
> simple "if(pMediaPlayerPlugin != NULL)".

I thought Isaac was talking about implementing new formats into the
_native_ internal player (ie. the one that plays MPEG2, MPEG4, and RTJPEG)
That native player, I cannot see playing .RAM and .MOV files "with a
little more effort".... I think your idea of falling back to xine-lib if
something other than one of these formats is detected is probably a good
solution for now. I'd hope it would be transparent to the user though
(ie. same OSD for the native internal player playing a MPEG4 file as the
xine-lib fallback player playing a .WMV file) Get the idea?
Awesome.

Albert