[mythtv-users] Internal Video player

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sat Jan 10 00:48:01 EST 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 07:58 pm, Albert Santoni wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
> >On Friday 09 January 2004 06:58 pm, Albert Santoni wrote:
> >>I thought Isaac was talking about implementing new formats into the
> >>_native_ internal player (ie. the one that plays MPEG2, MPEG4, and
> >> RTJPEG) That native player, I cannot see playing .RAM and .MOV files
> >> "with a little more effort"....
> >
> >I wasn't talking about implementing anything.  libavformat already
> > supports the majority of container formats, just as libavcodec supports
> > the majority of video/audio codecs.
> >
> >http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC16
> >
> So why hasn't anyone done this before?

Done what before?  Where do you think the mpeg2 decoder came from? =)

mythtv <movie file>

Should play everything supported by ffmpeg, though non-mpeg2 will probably
need some minor tweaking, and you may need to compile myth's copy of
libavcodec/avformat with some additional codecs (ie, libfaad, vorbis,
whatnot) for some things to play.

Isaac