[mythtv-users] blurred playback w/ PVR-250

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 12 08:42:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Audio Phile wrote:

> When viewing captured video or live TV, I see what I
> can only describe as "dropped frames" on the high
> motion scenes.  In other words, if something is
> "moving fast" in the show, like scrolling credits or a
> fast fight scene for example.  The video does not move
> fluidly, rather it's a bit choppy.  I know I'm not
> dropping frames because my PVR-250 is doing all the
> encoding work; plus everything else looks fine -- it's
> just the fast motion scenes.  I think my problem might
> be in the recording settings.  Has anyone else
> experienced this?
>
> I'm capturing analog cable using MPEG-2 PS, 5500 kbps
> / 7000 max; audio settings are 320 kbps/44 kHz.  The
> rest of the hardware is as follows: ASUS A7N8X-VM, AMD
> 1900+ tbird / 512 meg RAM (PC2100), seagate 8 meg
> cache 160 gig drive running Knoppmyth R4 and patched
> to 0.13 of mythtv.

What video card are you using.  Some of us are experiencing image tearing
when trying to run twinview mode on nVidia GF4 MX cards.  Check out, for
example,
http://www.xanadunet.net/weblog/archives/2003/06/09/the_quest_for_tvout.html
.

For me, the only fix I've been able to find is to disable twinview.
Luckily, my plasma TV monitor has a vga input, so that's what I'm using.
Otherwise, I suppose the thing to do is set up the svideo out to be the sole
video out.  Or, better yet, find out that actually I have some setup problem
and that twinview is OK...

Peter