[mythtv-users] Channel zapping and the WAF

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Mon Jan 12 14:32:37 EST 2004

Top-posting fixed.

> > dct-channel (for example) typically takes about 3 seconds, but could
> > go as high as a minute in worst case (when the box is turned off).
> >
> > > On a minor related note, too bad Myth can't read the channel from
> > > the external tuner, to avoid those rare yet annoying times when the
> > > tuner and Myth are out of sync...
> >
> > dct-channel does this.
>
> The script does, yes, but Myth won't call the script if it thinks the tuner is
> one one channel and it's actually on another...

True, but dct-channel makes sure that the channel actually changes
when Myth requests it, and so the only case for a problem is if you
change the channel manually.  You could easily remove the check from
Myth and have it always call the changer unconditionally.

> Any idea why the script takes so long? This should be a quick operation, I
> would think...

Primarily the time it takes to reinitialize the box and the necessary
delay between keypresses.  The worst case times are much higher
because it e.g. tries to change the channel up to 5 times before
deciding the box must be off and sending the power key.

> BTW, I'm using sony_dss.pl ...

Then dct-channel doesn't apply.  I don't know anything about reading
the channel or the speed of that script.

-jim