[mythtv-users] Using Mpeg-2/Mpeg-1 encoders directly to record a show

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 12 23:42:00 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 08:17, Kyle Rose wrote:

> "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:
>
>> On Jan 12, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Dhiraj Gaurh wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't it be great if we could record a show in Mpeg-2/1 without
>>> having to record in Mpeg-4 and later convert it to Mpeg-1. That way
>>> we could more easily make VCD's, right ? Can that be possible any
>>> time in the future, or is something like that not possible without a
>>> hardware encoder(that doesn't sound right though).
>>
>> Please feel free to read the MythTV documentation some time. MythTV
>> has had support for the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-x50 mpeg2-encoder cards
>> for at least six months now.
>
> Please feel free to read the original message more carefully.  It
> seems pretty clear from "or is something like that not possible
> without a hardware encoder" that the poster knows it works with cards
> like the PVR-* series, but that there is no built-in MPEG-1/2
> *software* encoder in MythTV.

It didn't seem that clear to me when I first read it, but I'm usually
pretty crabby at 8am, and not very awake. Now that I've re-read the
message five times, I understand how you read it (and agree that is
probably what the author meant), but at the same time, any message that
has to be read that many times to be understood wasn't very well
written. Now I'm just lashing out 'cuz I feel somewhat stupid about
being an ass, but better clarity in the original message would have
been nice. ;-p

My apologies, Dhiraj.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE