[mythtv-users] Internal Video player

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Tue Jan 13 09:39:17 EST 2004

James Pifer wrote:
> I have tried those commands after I patched mplayer a few days ago. I'm
> not able to get the sound working. I'm not sure to even tell if I'm
> using oss or not(does redhat 9 use that?). If I'm not, IU don't know
> what the correct parameters would be in place of oss:/dev/dsp. Sound
> does work in the OS. Alsa is installed but not configured correctly.

rh 9 out of the box uses oss. One thing to look at is in KDE (assume :))
under ControlCenter->Sound&Multimedia->SoundSystem->aRts, UNCHECK Start
aRts sound server on startup. If it was in fact checked, reboot. If this
doesn't fix it, let me know.

> For the remote, I guess I just have to enable it for mplayer. I already
> have the .lircrc file modified. Can you tell me off the top of your head
> where to enable it in mplayer?
First you will have to have the lirc devel package installed to compile
lirc support into mplayer. You can get it here:
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/lirc/lirc-lib-devel-0.7.0-pre2_16.rh9.at.i386.rpm

Then use the --enable-lirc parameter to configure before compiling mplayer.

> That being said, my preference would still be to use myth's internal
> player so both audio and video go out the PVR350, because I'm sending
> this through my home theater. With mplayer I would have to wire the
> sound from the PC's audio jack back to the composites on my home
> theater, which isn't the greatest sound. At least that's how I
> understand it, maybe I'm wrong.

I agree. I would much prefer this approach as well. Unfortunately, I
don't think the internal player handles DVD's yet. Does it? Did I miss
something somewhere?

This is a hack and a pain simply because you can't pause, ff/rw, etc.
without the audio getting out of sync.

As for the sound, I guess that depends on your sound card. I have routed
the audio outs from the pvr 350 into my sound card and am running the
audio out from the sound card to my system. The external routing of the
350 out into the sound card is not necessary for DVDs but I don't want
to be switching outputs when going from live tv to dvd.