[mythtv-users] Starting Myth TV without desktop environment (ie KDE)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 15 02:30:40 EST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 09:10, Andy Grundman wrote:

>>> I'm tring to boot up directly into MythTV without using KDE. I've
>>> created a xinitRC file that starts the backend server and lircevent
>>> and
>>> then calls mythtv. I execute this from runlevel 3 using startx (RH
>>> 9.0).
>>> That works fine. How can I get the box to autologin as the mythtv
>>> user
>>> and call startx? I've tried modifying the grub inittab file without
>>> any
>>> success.
>>>
>> I use gdm to log my myth user in automatically.  See if you have
>> /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.  Look for the [daemon] section:
>> [daemon]
>> # Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically
>> logged
>> # in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key.
>> AutomaticLoginEnable=true
>> AutomaticLogin=mythtv
>
> Here's what I do.  This might work better if you don't feel like
> installing Gnome to get gdm.

Just FYI: even if you don't install Gnome and only install KDE, you'll
still get gdm installed on a Red Hat/Fedora box (generally -- you could
customize packages and deselect it). Red Hat has a heavily
tweaked/branded gdm setup that gets used by default for all gui logins.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/