[mythtv-users] A few newbie type questions

Malcolm Smith Malcolm.Smith at itemplus.com
Thu Jan 15 03:23:45 EST 2004

Nick,

I'm on NTL cable. My approach:

H/w - Asus pundit 2.4 Celery / 120GB H/D
Capture - 1 Hauppauge Analog BT878 card
        - 1 Nova T

I use the Nova T card to capture freeview - this causes virtually 0 usage of
CPU as it captures a MPEG 2 direct.

If the channel I want record / watch is cable then the method is: NTL
cable -> Svideo input of BT878. This captures via CPU compression. You  can
capture up to full DVB resolution dependent on your CPU power.

Unless you know someone in NTL that will give you a suitable capture card
there is no way to directly capture the digital stream from you cable. You
will therefore need to dedicate an NTL box to inputting into Myth. If you
only have one NTL box you cannot record from one channel and watch another.
You can get DVB-c cards but NTL don't want to support them.

You could input this stream into a PVR 250/350.

You also need an IR transmitter - see threads about building an Lirc, or see
www.redeye.co.uk for a ready to go alternative. This will allow channel
changing on the NTL box.

If you are picky about the quality and don't mind the range of channels on
freeview... go with the Nova-T I'd say it's better picture quality.

If you don't want reduced picture quality when watching TV, then you can
still watch "Normal" TV and use myth as a video recorder.

-malc-