[mythtv-users] Slow video, Max CPU, bad sound

Thu Jan 15 11:35:03 EST 2004

Somehow I waylayed my reply off the list. Here is my most recent reply to
you Craig. I think you were the only one to get it.

> I guess at this point I am kind of lost as to weather your trying to use
> OSS or Alsa.

I think I am too. :(  I was originally wanting ALSA running because that
is what the MythTV documentation indicated it preferred. But as I was
goofing around with things, it seemed that OSS was what Myth was trying to
use. So I killed ALSA and went with the driver that said it was OSS for my
card. That was when I went from bad static to locking up Myth (computer
still worked). I then got ALSA loaded again and back to the static, and
video, such as it is, will play.

> Also, I am not sure specificly what program your getting
> sound problems with. Is it mplayer?

I have no idea. Live TV or any recordings will not play with sound other
than static. I don't know what mplayer has to do with this other than it
was a prerequisite for getting MythTV running. Is there some way I can
test mplayer outside of Myth to see if that is my problem?

I am a week and a half into this installation and I still do not have it
working. Would I be better off by dumping it all and starting over? Maybe
with compiling everything myself instead of using the RPMs? That sounds
very drastic to me and I really don't want to have to do that.

I appreciate you sticking with me on this.

David