[mythtv-users] Does ripping DVDs preserve all the features

Preston Crow pc-mythtv at crowcastle.net
Thu Jan 15 18:58:21 EST 2004

> I am looking to get rid of the piles of DVDs around my TV by ripping
> them all to HDD. However, I want them to have all the features available
> on the disk. When a DVD is played does it work just like a normal DVD -
> kind of like having an ISO of the DVD? What about if you choose to use
> DivX to save space?

You can just use `dd if=/dev/dvd of=my_file` and you end up with an 8GB
or so file, depending on the disc.  Then when you change the
configuration on your dvd player (e.g., xine) to use your file instead
of /dev/dvd.

Now if you want to transcode the mpeg-2 files to mpeg-4, but keep the
menus and everything, I don't know if there's a good solution, but I'm
certainly interested.

--PC