[mythtv-users] PVR-350 + PVR-350 or PVR-350 + PVR-250

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 15 22:53:28 EST 2004

On Jan 15, 2004, at 12:02 AM, Andrew Dodd wrote:

>>> There's no way to do it (at least not yet).
>>
>> Can't you use an IR Blaster, and the component output (I'm assuming it
>> has one) of the Comcast box to get the HDTV channels?
> MPEG encoders that will take an HD component signal and compress it to
> MPEG-2
> MP at HL in real time cost more money than almost anyone on this list has.

Maybe if I sell my house, my truck, my kid...

> The only way to capture HDTV on a PC is if you have access to the raw
> bitstream
> somehow.  The options for this are:
>
> An HD tuner that has Firewire outputs.  These are sadly very rare.
> The only one
> I can think of off the top of my head is one of the first RCA DirecTV
> HD
> receivers with a modification installed by 169time.

My Motorola DCT-5100 also has a firewire output, but Comcast's firmware
disables it (as well as all the other goodies, like USB, Ethernet,
etc).

> A demodulator for whatever transmission standard is being used.
> Readily
> available for ATSC, no cards exist that work with the QAM demodulation
> used by
> digital cable.  (One wonders if it might be possible to reconfigure a
> DVB card
> to do this - DVB also uses a QAM modulation scheme.)
>
> A device that demodulates the signal, and then remodulates the
> bitstream in a
> different format.  i.e. the first-generation Dish Network HD receiver
> with the
> ATSC modulator added.  That's the only such device I know of.
>
> Theoretically it would be possible to tap into the demodulated
> bitstream from a
> cable box and then capture it.  A long time ago I remember seeing
> someone on
> AVSforum that had tapped into the raw digital video output of his DVD
> player
> just before the TV encoder and routed it to the GPIO pins of a Bt878.
> I forget
> the name of the exact transmission standard...

Supposedly, the DCT-5100 can also have an internal hard drive, and
there's an Ethernet port, so with a bit of work... ;-)

(No time to look into it right now though)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/